It was fucking heavenly. A post shared by Flea (@flea333) on Apr 30, 2020 at 5:06pm PDT. newspaper archive.

Change ), https://www.lindaikejisblog.com/2020/5/felas-ex-drummer-tony-allen-dies-in-france-at-the-age-of-79-2.html, Buhari to Christians at Easter: Covid-19, matter of life and death, Juventus star, Paulo Dybala ‘tests positive for Coronavirus for fourth time in six weeks’. All rights reserved. Eamonn Holmes grills wife Ruth Langsford after awkward encounter, Kate Garraway: GMB star updates fans on husband's 'battle', Tony Allen dead: Afrobeat co-founder and infamous drummer dies aged 79, Tony Allen was described as "perhaps the greatest drummer who has ever lived", Dan Walker: BBC host apologises as phone goes off live on-air, Tony Allen was one of the primary co-founders of the genre of Afrobeat music, Holly Willoughby in gobsmacked video: 'Does that mean I'm pregnant? Tributes have been paid to the influential Afrobeat drummer Tony Allen, who has reportedly died at the age of 79. That’s what I’m after.”, Tony Allen, Drummer Who Created the Beat of Afrobeat, Dies at 79, The drummer Tony Allen in performance in Winterthur, Switzerland, in 2015. Although Fela and Africa 70 recorded extensively and performed regularly at his club, the Shrine, Fela was repeatedly arrested and beaten. He was the musical director for Fela’s band Africa 70, which forged music that was both politically committed and danceable, merging West African styles with American jazz and funk. We will use your email address only for sending you newsletters. Rapper Biz Markie compared Allen’s influence on popular music to that of Bo Diddley, a pivotal figure in the transition from the blues to rock and roll. Want to bookmark your favourite articles and stories to read or reference later? While Allen’s exact cause of death is unknown, Trosset said that it had not been linked to coronavirus. The group toured Nigeria and neighboring Ghana. ( Log Out / 

Tony Allen I love you, I’m so grateful to have had the chance to rock with you. The composer and producer Brian Eno, a fan since the 1970s, once called Mr. Allen “perhaps the greatest drummer who ever lived.”.

His music reached listeners worldwide. Want an ad-free experience?Subscribe to Independent Premium. He was 79. Tony Allen and his compatriot Fela Kutti are the creators of Afrobeat.

Allen was a self-taught musician and began playing the drums at the age of 18, while working as an engineer for a Nigerian radio station.

“He was in great shape; it was quite sudden. Just grooving high, grooving deep.

The composer and producer Brian Eno called Mr. Allen “perhaps the greatest drummer who ever lived.”.

Hard to find a more influential band than Talking Heads, whose best songs mostly involved riffs on Fela’s rhythm — which was largely driven by the imagination, power & athleticism of those drums & grooves.’, Sean Lennon, the son of John Lennon and Yoko Ono, said: ‘Another day another legend passes on. He was hired by "Sir" Victor Olaiya to play claves with his highlife band, the Cool Cats after their drummer left. His manager, Eric Trosset, said the cause was an abdominal aortic aneurysm. As he taught himself to play, Mr. Allen became particularly interested in the pedal-operated pair of cymbals known as the hi-hat, which he felt other African drummers neglected.

‘We partied in Nigeria, we partied around Europe, and it was always about the music.

, a collaboration with the late Hugh Masekela, in March 2020.

Allen, who is credited as a co-founder of the Afrobeat genre, was the drummer and musical director of musician Fela Kuti’s famous band Africa ’70 in the 1960-70s. Start your Independent Premium subscription today. Tony Allen, the drummer who created the steadfast, subtle beat of the Nigerian protest funk known as Afrobeat, died on Thursday in Paris. Born in Lagos, Nigeria, Tony Allen whose full name is Tony Oladipo Allen was a Nigerian drummer, composer, and songwriter, residing in Paris, France. While Fela (who died in 1997) composed the parts for the band’s other instruments, Mr. Allen created his own drum parts. ", Another commented: "Tony Allen, one of the world's greatest drummers, leaves us.

I spoke to him at 1 p.m., then two hours later he was sick and taken to Pompidou hospital where he died.”. I wanted to honor his greatness so much when we played together, and I was nervous when we started, but he made me laugh like a two year old, and we fell right into pocket. https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/ Tony Allen best known for his part in founding the popular musical genre Afrobeat, has died in Paris on Thursday 30 April. Source: https://www.lindaikejisblog.com/2020/5/felas-ex-drummer-tony-allen-dies-in-france-at-the-age-of-79-2.html.

The cause of his death has not been revealed.

The epic Tony Allen, one of the greatest drummers to ever walk this earth has left us. With the Nigerian bandleader Fela and later on his own, he merged West African styles with American jazz and funk, reaching listeners worldwide.

Please see our Privacy Notice for details of your data protection rights. “He was in great shape; it was quite sudden.
Rice And Peas Calories, Is 18/10 Stainless Steel Good, Nerol And Geraniol, 3-inch Mattress Topper Down Alternative, How To Draw A Pig Song, Legacies Vampire Novel, Myosotis Arvensis Uses, Pumpkin Spiritual Meaning, Deer Lake, Wa, Hero Splendor Plus Seat Height, Fertile Crescent Map Modern Countries, When To Drink Cucumber Juice For Weight Loss, Zebra Finch Mating Call, Photoresistor Sensor Module, Lemon Raspberry Cheesecake Philadelphia, Ricotta And Honey Pizza, Cigarette Beetle Bite, Reactions Of Halogens, Has Written Meaning, Golgappa Aloo Masala Recipe, Antique Victorian Chairs, Strawberry Oatmeal Bars Pioneer Woman, Copycat Tastykake Recipes, Not One More Vet Race Around The World, Day Trading Meaning, Birch Benders Keto Waffles Frozen Review, Loon Lake Campsite Photos, Cost Of Building A Mini Golf Course, Best Health Insurance, What Is 5g Technology And How It Works, Canon Powershot G7 X Mark Iii Recensione, Algebra 1 Topics In Order, Ono Hawaiian Bbq Coupon June 2020, Dried Shrimp Nutrition Facts, Corporate Social Responsibility And Sustainability, Ir Sensor Circuit Price, Acca Jobs Toronto, Fullerton Bay Hotel Singapore Review, Frozen Diced Hash Browns Recipes, " />

tony allen drummer cause of death

Posted by: Comments: 0

Tony Allen was a drummer, composer and also a songwriter for Afrobeat legend, Fela Anikulapo Kuti. “I spoke to him at 1pm then two hours later he was sick and taken to Pompidou hospital, where he died.”, Described by Brian Eno and Damon Albarn as the. “We don’t know the exact cause of death," he said. Speaking on the death of the star, Eric Trosset told AFP: ‘We don’t know the exact cause of death.’. quite sudden. Change ), You are commenting using your Facebook account.

It was fucking heavenly. A post shared by Flea (@flea333) on Apr 30, 2020 at 5:06pm PDT. newspaper archive.

Change ), https://www.lindaikejisblog.com/2020/5/felas-ex-drummer-tony-allen-dies-in-france-at-the-age-of-79-2.html, Buhari to Christians at Easter: Covid-19, matter of life and death, Juventus star, Paulo Dybala ‘tests positive for Coronavirus for fourth time in six weeks’. All rights reserved. Eamonn Holmes grills wife Ruth Langsford after awkward encounter, Kate Garraway: GMB star updates fans on husband's 'battle', Tony Allen dead: Afrobeat co-founder and infamous drummer dies aged 79, Tony Allen was described as "perhaps the greatest drummer who has ever lived", Dan Walker: BBC host apologises as phone goes off live on-air, Tony Allen was one of the primary co-founders of the genre of Afrobeat music, Holly Willoughby in gobsmacked video: 'Does that mean I'm pregnant? Tributes have been paid to the influential Afrobeat drummer Tony Allen, who has reportedly died at the age of 79. That’s what I’m after.”, Tony Allen, Drummer Who Created the Beat of Afrobeat, Dies at 79, The drummer Tony Allen in performance in Winterthur, Switzerland, in 2015. Although Fela and Africa 70 recorded extensively and performed regularly at his club, the Shrine, Fela was repeatedly arrested and beaten. He was the musical director for Fela’s band Africa 70, which forged music that was both politically committed and danceable, merging West African styles with American jazz and funk. We will use your email address only for sending you newsletters. Rapper Biz Markie compared Allen’s influence on popular music to that of Bo Diddley, a pivotal figure in the transition from the blues to rock and roll. Want to bookmark your favourite articles and stories to read or reference later? While Allen’s exact cause of death is unknown, Trosset said that it had not been linked to coronavirus. The group toured Nigeria and neighboring Ghana. ( Log Out / 

Tony Allen I love you, I’m so grateful to have had the chance to rock with you. The composer and producer Brian Eno, a fan since the 1970s, once called Mr. Allen “perhaps the greatest drummer who ever lived.”.

His music reached listeners worldwide. Want an ad-free experience?Subscribe to Independent Premium. He was 79. Tony Allen and his compatriot Fela Kutti are the creators of Afrobeat.

Allen was a self-taught musician and began playing the drums at the age of 18, while working as an engineer for a Nigerian radio station.

“He was in great shape; it was quite sudden. Just grooving high, grooving deep.

The composer and producer Brian Eno called Mr. Allen “perhaps the greatest drummer who ever lived.”.

Hard to find a more influential band than Talking Heads, whose best songs mostly involved riffs on Fela’s rhythm — which was largely driven by the imagination, power & athleticism of those drums & grooves.’, Sean Lennon, the son of John Lennon and Yoko Ono, said: ‘Another day another legend passes on. He was hired by "Sir" Victor Olaiya to play claves with his highlife band, the Cool Cats after their drummer left. His manager, Eric Trosset, said the cause was an abdominal aortic aneurysm. As he taught himself to play, Mr. Allen became particularly interested in the pedal-operated pair of cymbals known as the hi-hat, which he felt other African drummers neglected.

‘We partied in Nigeria, we partied around Europe, and it was always about the music.

, a collaboration with the late Hugh Masekela, in March 2020.

Allen, who is credited as a co-founder of the Afrobeat genre, was the drummer and musical director of musician Fela Kuti’s famous band Africa ’70 in the 1960-70s. Start your Independent Premium subscription today. Tony Allen, the drummer who created the steadfast, subtle beat of the Nigerian protest funk known as Afrobeat, died on Thursday in Paris. Born in Lagos, Nigeria, Tony Allen whose full name is Tony Oladipo Allen was a Nigerian drummer, composer, and songwriter, residing in Paris, France. While Fela (who died in 1997) composed the parts for the band’s other instruments, Mr. Allen created his own drum parts. ", Another commented: "Tony Allen, one of the world's greatest drummers, leaves us.

I spoke to him at 1 p.m., then two hours later he was sick and taken to Pompidou hospital where he died.”. I wanted to honor his greatness so much when we played together, and I was nervous when we started, but he made me laugh like a two year old, and we fell right into pocket. https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/ Tony Allen best known for his part in founding the popular musical genre Afrobeat, has died in Paris on Thursday 30 April. Source: https://www.lindaikejisblog.com/2020/5/felas-ex-drummer-tony-allen-dies-in-france-at-the-age-of-79-2.html.

The cause of his death has not been revealed.

The epic Tony Allen, one of the greatest drummers to ever walk this earth has left us. With the Nigerian bandleader Fela and later on his own, he merged West African styles with American jazz and funk, reaching listeners worldwide.

Please see our Privacy Notice for details of your data protection rights. “He was in great shape; it was quite sudden.

Rice And Peas Calories, Is 18/10 Stainless Steel Good, Nerol And Geraniol, 3-inch Mattress Topper Down Alternative, How To Draw A Pig Song, Legacies Vampire Novel, Myosotis Arvensis Uses, Pumpkin Spiritual Meaning, Deer Lake, Wa, Hero Splendor Plus Seat Height, Fertile Crescent Map Modern Countries, When To Drink Cucumber Juice For Weight Loss, Zebra Finch Mating Call, Photoresistor Sensor Module, Lemon Raspberry Cheesecake Philadelphia, Ricotta And Honey Pizza, Cigarette Beetle Bite, Reactions Of Halogens, Has Written Meaning, Golgappa Aloo Masala Recipe, Antique Victorian Chairs, Strawberry Oatmeal Bars Pioneer Woman, Copycat Tastykake Recipes, Not One More Vet Race Around The World, Day Trading Meaning, Birch Benders Keto Waffles Frozen Review, Loon Lake Campsite Photos, Cost Of Building A Mini Golf Course, Best Health Insurance, What Is 5g Technology And How It Works, Canon Powershot G7 X Mark Iii Recensione, Algebra 1 Topics In Order, Ono Hawaiian Bbq Coupon June 2020, Dried Shrimp Nutrition Facts, Corporate Social Responsibility And Sustainability, Ir Sensor Circuit Price, Acca Jobs Toronto, Fullerton Bay Hotel Singapore Review, Frozen Diced Hash Browns Recipes,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *